Sign in to follow this  
Heggis

Armalite Ar-10 Nm - My Long Range Accuracy Rifle

5 posts in this topic

Okay it's been long enough time, so time to write another story of my guns. I'm not a sniper but I'm interested in long range precision shooting. So screw shooting rifles to 100yd, I consider 500yd a cqb distance for a rifle! :) I do own few bolt action guns and I like the accuracy but getting follow-up shots quickly is a hassle. Couple that with (usually) small magazine capasity and somehow I don't like it... So I was hunting for a accurate but semi-auto rifle that I could shoot up to 1km (so a .308Win). Now there are plenty of options here that (FAL/G3/SVD) are semi but they really lack in the accuracy (and accessory) department. The other thing is the price, but usually if I want something badly enough, I don't care about the pricetag.

So luckily there were couple of Armalite AR-10NM's in the gunshop nearest to me. He had 3 rifles left in his inventory and had no idea if he could get anymore (thanks to BATF etc). So I decided to make a downpayment on a rifle and put in a application for a new gunlicense (we need to get one for each gun from the local policechief). 2 months (and several drool trips to the shop) later I purchased my rifle for measly 3550$. Yeah wasn't cheap... I don't have a picture of the gun as it came from the factory, but here's a link. So it has a 20" stainless steel threaded barrel, freefloat front tube and an okay trigger from the factory (national match trigger). The rifle came with ironsights but those I took off and put my Zeiss 6-24 scope on top with Badger Ordnance rings (were talking proper quality rings, not your average shitty rings).

Iron sights taken out and scope attached.
_img900.jpg

I got the rifle on 21.4. and went to the range on 24th to shoot it in. Shooting in means that I shoot 1-2-3-4-5-10-15-20 rounds through the barrel and between the series I clean the barrel from copper (ammonia based solvents - yay) and any burn residues. It takes 15min's for the copper remover to work so yes, I spent few hours in the range just waiting. Eventhough I wasn't shooting accuracy tests during the cleaning phase, the gun showed some very good potential.

Easy barrel cleaning
_img900.jpg

1st 6 shots with the rifle (so 1-2-3 sequence), not bad @109yd. 1st shot was the highest. The inner circle is about 1".
_img900.jpg

Also punished a metal target @300yd
_img900.jpg

Few closeups of the rifle back then.

The Harris bipod is attached to the Stanag (commonly known as picatinny) rail with Yankee Hill Machines adaptor
_img900.jpg

Yes a genuine AR-10 (only Armalite makes AR-10's, the other ones are called AR308's)
_img900.jpg

So like said I like shooting littlebit longer distance. View to "our" 550yd range.
_img900.jpg

So like with all guns, after a while you know what you want to change in them. For me that was 2 big things, better trigger and compensator and/or silencer. Since the barrel was already threaded from the factory, it was just matter of buying the stuff for the barrel. So my friend made me a compensator and I ordered a silencer. Here in (Soviet) Finland we don't need any permissions to own suppressors, thank god. I opted for a Aseutra SL5 which is one of the smallest ones out there but with huge silencing capability.

Silencer, A2 birdcage and compensator comparison.
_img900.jpg

Now with silencers there are few things to consider with gas operated guns. If it's a direct gassed system (like the AR) and not piston gassed (AK) the problem you are gonna face is over gassing the system. What this means is that the silencer keeps the gas pressure higher (and actually blows some of the gas back to the barrel) and this means that the carrier/slide/bolt is moving faster than intended. The common symptom is failure to eject/stove piping. What this means is that the spent case doesn't have enough time to properly eject cause the carrier bounces back from the back (aka case is riding the bolt). Another symptom is that the gun usually ejects the casings to straight to the side (3 o'clock) and slightly back. If it is slightly overgassed the casings are flying forward.

Video of me shooting without silencer, the cases eject staright to my right.

And video of me shooting with the silencer. You can see the brass flying forward and eventually getting a malfunction called stovepipe.

now there are few ways to tackle the problem but the easiest way is to restrict the amount of gas that is going into the system. And since I will be shooting with both with and without silencer, I need an adjustable gasblock. Basically it's a normal gasblock with a setscrew that I can adjust how much gas is let through. I got a gasblock from PRI.

_img900.jpg

And here's how the gun works after installing the gasblock

So the next upgrade was a new trigger. Now like I said, I ain't a sniper, so I can opt for less battlesuited but better trigger. I got myself a fully adjustable Jard Inc. trigger with 2lbs pull. Installing it was, well a learning curve since it was first time installing the thing. But after few tries I got it setup properly and all screws locked tih locktite. Now I have a 2lbs trigger with 1/4 inch trigger movement :) And yes, if you don't do your triggerpull properly, you can bumpfire it. Been there, done that. :D The only issue with installing the trigger was with the safetylever. If I pressed the trigger heavily to one side, it would have enough room to turn a bit so that safety could not be engaged. Now usually this is not a problem, but I didn't want to do a half-ass job with it. So I took my dremel and grinded my safetylever slightly. Now this problem was most likely due to tolerances since my friend didn't have this problem with his (and haven't heard from others either). So littlebit of bad luck there. Oh well, not a huge problem though :)

As you can see it misaligns just a little bit in the left...
_img900.jpg

Now this is the state that my gun was for 1,5 years and 2000 rounds.
_img900.jpg

I also bought a brasscatcher so I don't need to pick the brass from the ground, or try to find them in the snow...
_img900.jpg

The only thing I wasn't totally impressed was optics. Now again, I like quality. So I finally a month ago got myself a new scope. A Schmidt&Bender 3-20x50 scope. Now this scope is pretty much the best you can buy, and the price tag shows it, 3800$. But man is it worth it, YES IT IS!. The scope is attached with Badger Ordnance rings (surprice) to a Badger Ordnance 22moa canted rail. So now since the scope is slightly canted forward, I can use all the available adjustment to shoot longer with the scope.

Rail and rings
_img900.jpg

Note the bubble level in the front. That is so that I know when my crosshairs are level.
_img900.jpg

How the 8700$ gun looks now.
_img900.jpg

Oh and accuracy of the rifle? Well it mostly depends on the shooter but this is pretty normal for me...
_img900.jpg

Ugh - enough stuff written. Will put some more stories/pics here when I have some energy back... Especially from the 800m and 1km shootings...

Okay so I bought a new DSLR (Canon 70D) which enables me to take Full-HD videos... YAY.

So video from today's trip to the BMP-2 range in Hätilä. It was pretty windy day, but didn't matter that much. Warning: in the video there is lots of finnish spoken in the background cause the idiots didn't realize I was shooting a video. :wallbash: Anyway you can sometimes hear the hits from the metal plate. It takes 1.6 seconds for the bullet to fly and 2.5 seconds for the sound to come back. My plate has a pretty distinct sound to it (because it's slightly curved) and you can hear it in very clearly in the 4th shot.

It's been a while... The rifle now has a new compensator. Works amazingly.

Finally got some new mags for the rifle. Brownells Finland finally was able to get a shipment approval from states and had a discount weekend for mags. And just in time since EU is going with the new gun/mag ban, where riflemags over 10rnds require a permit, it would've been impossible to get new mags... So I bought 7 to make my total to even 10 mags (+2 10 rounders), that should be enough for a while. Price for 7 mags was 375$ (inc. shipping) so not that bad, althoug in US you can get them for 35$ each... But atleast I was able to get them, price wasn't an issue.

One funny note is the manf date... Just to think I ordered my mags on september 3rd...

_img1280.jpg