Sign in to follow this  
grovesy

Patrol Ops Update Suggestions

30 posts in this topic

So from my experience playing on the patrol ops (Which I have done a shittonne of a lot lately) I have found some bugs and things to improve on, some of which I understand is not DMM's fault but still might be worth a look to fix. So here goes my list:

Dragon Teeth at spawn:

Something I notice quite a lot of the time the medical tent and the camo netting over the ammo box is constantly knocked over and irreversible, also players being hit by Strykers/tanks in the spawn area. So maybe a simple set of concrete dragon teeth surrounding the spawn area and medical bay will stop people driving through there would be a good fix to both of these? I would suggest H-barriers but like on Zargabad they can sometimes be annoying to get through.

More Humvees:

Humvees have been increasing in popularity lately especially with the search and destroy missions.. They have become used a great deal more, however only two infantry combat humvees is causing some issues. Maybe if there were a few more parked in the compound where the recruit AI is located we could have players a little happier having access to patrol vehicles for the search missions. I also see small groups like th3barri3 has been with who will just drive to the AOs in these Humvees, which I do find pretty cool as its not always needed to be flown in.

New tasks not loading fix:

Think this has come up quite a bit lately especially in the 1.6 version. Tasks are taking extremely long times to load in, if at all. This has happened a few times even on a quiet patrol ops server and with the extended period where there's nothing to do players do seem to tend to start teamkilling, messing around and misbehaving, and starts to become hard to control, especially with a larger group. If no fix would be available.. maybe make it so the server admin can do a skip task/force task action that will instantly open a task for everyone.

ACE ammobox:

This request is not just one I am making myself, but others have also asked about it, just today MgySgt. Sharp asked me to suggest it, and I do agree with him quite a bit. Although we can play on the server with ACE we are somewhat limited, with weapons and equipment. We do not have access to safety glasses or ear plugs. (Which is actually a big problem, getting into helicopters we are blinded, and around large weapons we can lose our hearing completely). The rangefinders also become useless without a battery. So if maybe we could add a scripted ammobox just around the corner that would be filled with ACE weapons and equipment (I may have a script somewhere already written, or if not I can go ahead and write one up for everything we would need in it) and anyone who has ACE can come here for their gear and it wouldn't effect the other players as they would just see an empty ammobox

Vehicle loadout area:

A great idea I have found others using is a simple system that allows you to kit out the trunk of a car/truck/heli with a certain set of equipment. You would pull the car up next to a service point and scroll wheel, select say "MG team loadout" and it would spawn a bunch of extra belts of M249 ammunitions, some spare barrels, a couple spare MGs, any other type of relevant ammuntions and you could just drive off with a nicely packed Humvee ready to loot out of during a firefight. Other loadouts may include: Rifle team loadout, Anti tank loadout, Sniper loadout, etc. It's a great idea for a quick load up ready for a patrol where anything could happen. (Once again I may be able to scavenge a pre-written script)

Fortunate Son full length audio file:

I think a lot of us get a kick out of flying into a fresh AO loaded up in a helicopter and all of a sudden someone plays fortunate son for the travel in. I mean I enjoy it a bit too, but the problem is, our .ogg files aren't long enough for a nice long full song ride. So maybe if a server admin is in a helicopter, just like the Lock vehicle script they could play the song to everyone inside of that helicopter as a nice little touch to motivate the troops. It would enlarge the mission file a little, but I think most people would enjoy it. Ofcourse I just posed this suggestion up for a little fun, but would still be awesome to see it in our next update ;)

Ammobox Helipad:

People seem to be finding it hard to find the ammobox point/load an ammobox in their helicopters or cars, I was thinking maybe we could go back to the old park ontop of the helipad and have an ammobox loaded? Also noticed the vehicle service point you do load ammoboxes from can be destroyed meaning no more ammoboxes are able to be transported/dropped.

Will probably add more to the list as I think of them, but for now this is a good list to look at.. As always I would be happy to help with anything along the way, like I said some scripts I may be able to sort out myself, but I don't know who is currently modifying the patrol ops missions so I'll just be posting here until then

I think you've hit the nail on the head, been thinking of asking for changes but never got round to it.

Hummers:

There should be 1 for each squad and they should be the HMMWV Sov variant because it has two gunners and 7 seats.

Scouting:

Also would like to see one or two KA-137 for scouting. Unless we can get the MQ-9s to work.

Quads:

Quads should respawn at original location after 5 minutes of not being used.

If there's anything I can do just let me know.

looks u guyz r the perfect guyz to make the patrol ops mission how u guyz want it,cross asked me to do the editing on it but i have no interest in arma 2 anymore and dont even have it installed on my computer,have at it boys

so the exact message that I sent to Jaron last night was

Since we have such a super active patrol ops server, is there anything that you can do to update,reboot, tune, upgrade,change the patrol ops to keep the game fresh , and keep people happy with it

So, I am not a mission editor, I know in the past some have tried and failed, being able to place objects around is not editing, tuning the maps , adding,editing , and creating a playable mission take more than tinkering...

who can do it, Jaron has been the man in the past , but now had a large readable finger pointed towards Arrowhead, someone needs to fill this position...

Placing objec5s, moving the base around adding ammo boxes, yah I can do that, heavy scripting I cant and have always asked for help from jones and heggis, I think my powers of editing r looked at to highly than they actually r, it takes time to learn that stuff which I dont have and am not gonna spend my gaming tome on my days off messing with a game I dont even play, nothing against it but ive moved on to arma 3 wich all my time goes to, there r plenty capable people in the clan that still play arma 2 like crazy and can do the editing, I will always be available to help and give the knowledge I have, but ive been away from it so long I wouldnt even know where to start

I know I'm not a DMM member but I'm willing to spend time doing the base changes like Hummers, Scouting, Anti-griefing and what I originally came to add to the list 'Minus tank score when destroying objective depot and radar towers bug'.

I also program in Java so scripting is a possibility but I've never done it before.

Im sure Falloff could do it, He does spend some time in the Patrol ops sever and he is always going on about his base's he is making. so im sure he would be able to do it.

But on the subject of the Mission loading, The mission seems to take forever to load (or not load at all) when the sever starts to get populated. And me and fall have found the old version of the map doesn't have this issue.

so my suggestion on this would ether change the old version of the map to suit what we like now or spend time in 1.6 scripts to find what is causing the missions to not load.

Well, FIRST TIME TEST!!!!! Was a SUCCESS!!

I think the first pubber comment was 'It's Sick', so im happy.

Their are PLENTY of things that are yet to be changed and implemented.

And im happy that their are some AWESOME sudgestions allready, some that i'll DEFINATELY look into...Fortunate Son, the first!!

The game is Very Stable, changes missions straight away (and i'm hearing in Ts RIGHT NOW whist writing this, "the Tunguskas are Firing!!".) So im sure it'll be an adventure and a good change from the Desert.

Thanx to all so far for your sudgestions and help getting it this far. U know who you are.

Cheers.

Maj.Fall.

I could look into editting the 1.4 version of patrol ops, as there is no issue with mission loading it would be the best to do these edits on. I'm not a hardcore scripter, but if I can remember most of what I used to do for arma 3 then I should be able to have some nice things to update it with, if cross would be willing to take the mission and put it up for us?

By the sounds of it Falloffalot is working on this, but these are my edits if anyone wants to take a look...

http://speedy.sh/EMBA4/dmm-patrol-ops-11072014.takistan.pbo

Changelog...

Moved base gate.

Moved ammobox point.

Renamed some service points.

Moved choppers.

Made chopper spawns service points.

Made base into a compound.

Moved support vehicles.

Added support vehicle marker.

Moved land vehicles.

Added land vehicle marker.

Moved vehicle service point.

Edited intro.

Added dragon teeth to stop spawn griefing.

Moved c130.

Added larger humvee selection.

Added KA137 for scouting. (Removed: Turns out there crap, Want to look at domination sat view feature)

Renamed mission.

Changed loading splash.

Modified credit diary to add myself :).

Added grass cutters.

Known/Possible issues...

Gaps in the bag walls.

Placement of dragon teeth.

More ideas...

Add sat view from domination.

No gear when player joins.

Went a bit over the top with bag walls lol.

Just noticed this in the logs...

Warning: CfgVehicles missing in PreloadConfig - may slow down vehicle creation
Warning: CfgAmmo missing in PreloadConfig - may slow down vehicle creation
Warning: CfgNonAIVehicles missing in PreloadConfig - may slow down vehicle creation
Don't know if this effects the task creation.

I know I'm not a DMM member but I'm willing to spend time doing the base changes like Hummers, Scouting, Anti-griefing and what I originally came to add to the list 'Minus tank score when destroying objective depot and radar towers bug'.

I also program in Java so scripting is a possibility but I've never done it before.

OK impress me/us

Create the mission,take the time to get to know Heggis, he will be lead on all map editing and missions for Arrowhead, and has indispensable knowledge on ARMA mission editing~

Please work with FallOff so that efforts are not duplicated,collaboration is good, I can set up a drop box specific to mission editing so that you can save share and sync to collaborate.

Myself,

Jaron,

Fury,

maybe FallOff, << cant remember buddy , I know you are FTP challenged :wallbash:

or Heggis can load the map, find us when you are ready to go

just a note, from past experience, stay away from any excessive scripting, more is bad , and usually has a negative impact on the mission,

but there are many cool existing elements and scripts that can be utilized to enhance a Arma2 mission.

Ohh , and you are creating a custom mission for DMM, and should be credited as such...

one last thought

Errors BAD mmkay...

Debug and test locally before considering rolling out on a active server....

The mission I've linked above is ready for a test run. Mostly cosmetic changes.

The mission I've linked above is ready for a test run. Mostly cosmetic changes.

And you said it has errors,

Debug....

I also think we should add in weather changes. I know it's a small detail and seems stupid but I love playing in bad weather conditions. Also if there's a way to add in the squad configuration like in Domi, how you can change at any time, would be nice. Just some thoughts

And you said it has errors,

Debug....

No errors that weren't there before.

Allright...Im searching HEAPS thru Armaholic for scripts that will enhance, but not stress the P/Ops game.

Found some Groovy AI animation/Dynamic Weather/Ammo box/etc. etc. Theirs heaps out their.

But, when i get to reading how&where to put them....Me Brain starts to get all muushy...

Im just not cut-out for the scripting side of things. I can see some 'Flow' in the Dos/command lines etc.

Just not enough to 'manipulate' or 'change' with confidence. (some are ones Jones had running successfully+stable)

I do LOVE placing (inch by inch at times...lol) all the objects/base building/designing the 'typical Real-Life' scenario of how base would be created, in a real-life Arrival/Set-up/Deploy situation. Not just a bunch of Hesco's slapped on the ground, but thought behind the placement of any object in, where and why around the base.

So if ANYONE who has better knowledge of scripting, or even can figure it out better/more confidently than me.

Please, by all means, 'step-up to the plate'.

Send me a PM, or just get together in Ts next time, lets see what 'awesomeness' we can create for Johnny Public...

Cheers,

> : )

V1.4.2 is done and Grovesy's now got it.

Keep n eye out for the updated vers. on the server soon...

> : )

Still doing some touch ups, thought of a way of taking sparky's complaint into consideration, and as such have found a way around not using dragon teeth anywhere but keeping the spawn secure. Think it will be ready within the week, won't spoil anything yet, but there are a few noticeable changes that's for sure.

Good point, almost forgot about that, think falloff said it was a script called ALICE? might take a look into it as its a pretty important part of patrol ops.. Also removed that bugged Search and destroy depot mission

Fixed the civilian bug just now, Going to play a couple of tasks to make sure that it doesn't cause the mission load time bug.

Civilian bug has been fixed, tested 5 general ops and 5 captures. Give me a shout in TS and ill tell you how to fix it.

A lot of people have been asking if there is any chance of adding more AI at missions. I've noticed as well, the missions are getting pretty easy and sometimes end before you get there. We have plenty of vehicles, and skilled players, that the AI are just getting swept away too easily.