Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stryker99

Review my build please

11 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Looking to build a new gaming rig that's sustainable. Want some honest opinions. Pro and con type reviews as to why certain parts are good or not would be preferred to, questions about why a certain piece or I like this part etc...

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Stryker99/saved/BmLzK8

Thank you,

Stryker99

Short term budget is ~ 1 video card. Long term budget is about $3500. I'm using the assumption that in 400 days this build will cost a lot less. ^ Added the build in my first post sorry for that over sight.

I'm not an expert in any way but do you really need that amount of RAM? 

On 11/19/2016 at 9:29 PM, Stryker99 said:

Hey all,

Looking to build a new gaming rig that's sustainable. Want some honest opinions. Pro and con type reviews as to why certain parts are good or not would be preferred to, questions about why a certain piece or I like this part etc...

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Stryker99/saved/BmLzK8

Thank you,

Stryker99

Looks good. The Samsung 950 pro is a picky little fucker, I know from putting one into a laptop for my boss. Make sure to turn in UEFI and partition using GPT. Honestly, not sure if it's just the computer it's in, but I'm not impressed by the boot time of the 950 pro . My raid array with 2, $45 SSDs boots faster.

However, one the 950 is started up, it cannot be compared to. If you have enough cash, I would recommend either another SSD, two for RAID arrays, or swap the 1tb SSD for traditional drives, and do a RAID 10. This will require at least 4 drives though. You will not only get the speed of the two drives working as one, but a backup should one fail. And if I remember correctly, 2tb in storage now. Your case can handle it, I have the same one but I'm black.

Since you're running 64gb of ram, look into creating a RAMDISK. You will not regret it.

Closed loop cooling scares me. You don't know how much coolant is in there and if it's running. I spent a little more on the cooling system. It's still premade, but I can see coolant flow as well as add more coolant. Guess I'm paranoid. Here's a link to what I bought. I top mounted the radiator on that case and it's fine.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16835494020

16 hours ago, {DMM} Viking said:

I'm not an expert in any way but do you really need that amount of RAM? 

I tend to turn my last model gaming rigs into servers. Servers do indeed use as much RAM as they can get their grubby little hands on.

9 hours ago, succeededcheese said:

Looks good. The Samsung 950 pro is a picky little fucker, I know from putting one into a laptop for my boss. Make sure to turn in UEFI and partition using GPT. Honestly, not sure if it's just the computer it's in, but I'm not impressed by the boot time of the 950 pro . My raid array with 2, $45 SSDs boots faster.

However, one the 950 is started up, it cannot be compared to. If you have enough cash, I would recommend either another SSD, two for RAID arrays, or swap the 1tb SSD for traditional drives, and do a RAID 10. This will require at least 4 drives though. You will not only get the speed of the two drives working as one, but a backup should one fail. And if I remember correctly, 2tb in storage now. Your case can handle it, I have the same one but I'm black.

Since you're running 64gb of ram, look into creating a RAMDISK. You will not regret it.

Closed loop cooling scares me. You don't know how much coolant is in there and if it's running. I spent a little more on the cooling system. It's still premade, but I can see coolant flow as well as add more coolant. Guess I'm paranoid. Here's a link to what I bought. I top mounted the radiator on that case and it's fine.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16835494020

Since I do plan on running 64 GB of ram I do indeed want to run a RAM disk and use that as a swap/current game partition to make games load at speeds of GB/s and not just MB/s. I'm thinking 16 GB of ram for system and 48 GB for a RAM disk.

43 minutes ago, Stryker99 said:

Since I do plan on running 64 GB of ram I do indeed want to run a RAM disk and use that as a swap/current game partition to make games load at speeds of GB/s and not just MB/s. I'm thinking 16 GB of ram for system and 48 GB for a RAM disk.

Ehh, that still is a bit much on RAM. At least I haven't seen a need much past 8GB. I mean, you can push it to 12, but I have 12 and have no need to upgrade because I never go past 6. Your rig, completely up to you, but maybe leaving it at 10 or 12gb might help. I mean you can always adjust it in the fly and every GB counts for games. Just food for thought. 

Ramdisks are sexy. I played with them a few years ago and they're a nerd's wet dream.

What were your thoughts on the RAIDs?

15 minutes ago, succeededcheese said:

Ehh, that still is a bit much on RAM. At least I haven't seen a need much past 8GB. I mean, you can push it to 12, but I have 12 and have no need to upgrade because I never go past 6. Your rig, completely up to you, but maybe leaving it at 10 or 12gb might help. I mean you can always adjust it in the fly and every GB counts for games. Just food for thought. 

Ramdisks are sexy. I played with them a few years ago and they're a nerd's wet dream.

What were your thoughts on the RAIDs?

My current rig has 2 HDD's in RAID 0 for maximum performance. It also has 24 GB of RAM and it runs my surveillance software so I need every CPU, HDD, and a tiny bit of ram I can get per camera...

The raid performance of the HDD's was not up to par with a single SSD Samsung 850 PRO that I have also installed in it for gaming.

That said I'm not against RAID for some SSD's but I don't intend to do the RAID 1+0 instead probably do Raid 5. That would require 4 drives and I'm all about space. GTA takes 70GB alone hence the 1TB SSD. I do have the Steam application DIMMDrive (RAMDISK) that would love to have 48GB of RAM to use for each game. GTA though would still not fit in the entire 64GB ram that I plan to install.

34 minutes ago, Stryker99 said:

My current rig has 2 HDD's in RAID 0 for maximum performance. It also has 24 GB of RAM and it runs my surveillance software so I need every CPU, HDD, and a tiny bit of ram I can get per camera...

The raid performance of the HDD's was not up to par with a single SSD Samsung 850 PRO that I have also installed in it for gaming.

That said I'm not against RAID for some SSD's but I don't intend to do the RAID 1+0 instead probably do Raid 5. That would require 4 drives and I'm all about space. GTA takes 70GB alone hence the 1TB SSD. I do have the Steam application DIMMDrive (RAMDISK) that would love to have 48GB of RAM to use for each game. GTA though would still not fit in the entire 64GB ram that I plan to install.

Ever think about looking into a server motherboard that can support maybe windows 10 max of 512 GB of RAM? Not to mention dual processors.

I mean, you're already spending a pretty penny. Some have m.2 support

No I haven't thought to look at server motherboards because I build gaming machines in mind.