Sign in to follow this  
sgtfury

new toy

6 posts in this topic

So I got this new toy, and Google showed me how to use the XBOX 360 Kinect to scan real objects into 3D digital ones.  The first image is my daughter.  The second is the Anaconda, that one I downloaded.  Need to work on temp settings and such to get the best prints.  My daughter's was on high temp PLA, need to tone the heat down and retry.  If anyone has a 3D printer, and some tips, I'd love to hear them.

20180131_073316.jpg

20180123_174226.jpg

20180114_143210.jpg

That is sweet how you can scan real people in with the Kinect, it's about time it was good for something lol!

I Hope someone has some tips for you. I look forward to seeing your creations, when you have the printer mastered!

Download the windows 7 SDK files and developer files for the kinect  360 to use in win 10.  Download skanect software and boom.  I had my daughter rotate on her hover board, or you can just slowly turn around and scan is done.  Cheaper than buying a 3d scanner if you already have a kinect.

I know adjusting the temp and speed make a huge difference with smoothness and strength.  filaments are all different, so each type needs some serious tweaking.  I have a cheap, under 200 dollar printer, but some of the stuff came out superbly, so cheap is not necessarily  a bad thing.  Most of the sub 300 dollar machines are identical, just have different frame structures holding them up, motors , print heads, firmware are the same.  basically i3 Prusa clones.

I will ask my co workers if they used or know allot about 3D Printers. They are screen printers but one did a ton of Art jobs including restoring Bat Mobiles etc lol!

So I asked my co workers, and unfortunately they have never used a 3D printer before.

Cool toy..i didnt know the you could do that with the xbox..we are looking at getting a 3d axis cnc at work..we have a flatbed but the 3D printers look more fun especially if you can scan things that easily..impressive